I recently started using OpenDNS on my networks, because I like to track DNS stats, and prevent bad sites from resolving. OpenDNS has cataloged over 5 million sites into buckets, and you can either block a specific site, like limeware.com, or block a group of sites, like “P2P file sharing” sites. I also love that you can add and customize multiple networks, so I can have my grandfather’s network more locked down than my site.
Once I made this adjustment on my network, I noticed that my Home Server stopped responding to the home server client when I wanted to connect to the server. It showed the error:
This computer cannot connect to your home server. Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on. If your home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes.
The problem is that the router is passing every name resolution to the DNS servers. With normal DNS servers, they ignore single hosts such as “SERVER”. With Open DNS, they go ahead and slap the ISPs domain name on it and resolve it for you (e.g. SERVER.comcast.net), and of course your console wouldn’t connect to that.
- On your client computer, run ipconfig /all, and copy down the domain name
- Sign in to your Open DNS account.
- Add a network, if you haven't already.
- Go to the Settings tab.
- Click Advanced Settings.
- Click Manage under Manage VPN Exceptions in the Domain Typos section.
- Add your internal domain(s) to this list, which was copied down in the first step
- Wait 3 minutes (worst case) and all should be well.
That’s all there is to it. Home Server starts acting like a Home Server again.