The Power of Exchange 2007 is amazing. Did you know that with Exchange 2007, that's included with Windows Small Business Server 2008 you can have your Outlook Web Access and Mobile Device users click a link to download files directly from the Internal Company Web Site (http://companyweb) or file shares?
Well, you can and it's easy to use, and easy to configure.
To Enable Remote File Access for Outlook Web Access Users:
- Click Start, All Programs, Microsoft Exchange Server 2007, and then select Exchange Management Console.
- Once the console opens up, expand Server Configuration and then click on Client Access.
- Right-click on the owa (SBS Web Application), and choose Properties
- Once the property page loads, click on the Remote File Servers tab, and click the Allow button.
- In the pop-up that opens, type in "companyweb" without the quotes
- Click Ok and then Ok again to get back to the console.
Now when users send email with http://companyweb/shared%20documents/myfile.txt as a link in email, Outlook Web Access users will be able to click the link and download the file directly through OWA.
This technique can be done with file-servers as well, simply by putting the SBS server name into the Allow list. The user would just put in \\server\share\filename.ext into the email and the user would be able to download it via OWA.
Finally, you can also do this for mobile devices, by switching tabs to the Exchange ActiveSync tab and repeating the same steps.