As you can probably tell from the lack of posts, Billy-G has been putting us to the grind these days. I'm in the middle of writting specs, updating specs, reviewing specs, reading specs, etc. Basically my life consists of specs, specs, specs. And what comes with specs? The over use of a unknown little program called Microsoft Office. :o)
I was saving a particular spec today, about a BAZILLION times, and it occured to me, I haddn't posted this little tip on how to have fun with the Office "Save As..." dialog.
So here is my customized "Save As..." dialog, notice anything different?
I'll give you a hint, take a look at what is selected. CompanyWeb! How cool is that, you can put links to any folder in here. SharePoint folders, or UNC/SMB paths. I bet your just itching to know how.
- Open Word, or Excel, and choose File, Save As...
- Browse to the folder you want on the quick bar, for me I typed in http://companyweb and hit enter
- In the top right hand courner of the dialog, drop down the Tools menu and choose Add to "My Places"
- Now the folder is added to the bottom of the list, but it's inconvenient because it's off the bottom of the dialog
- Simply right-click the item and choose Move Up, and shift all of the items around to your liking
Now if that's not a time saver, I don't know what is. You know what else? You could even add this to your employee's computer to promote the use of SharePoint, you know make it easy!.
I use this non-stop when I'm writing specs, I'm sure once you do it, you'll find it handy too.
Keep in mind that this only works for Office Applications, if you're ambitious and want to change it for programs like MSPAINT or NOTEPAD (two of my favourite applications btw), you'll have to get the Tweak UI Power Toy and change it there. Keep in mind in Tweak UI, it's called "The Places Bar". (dang naming conventions, or lack there of will get you every time!)
Now that's some low level customization, but if you're in the same spot all the time opening or saving, these tips might save you, or your customers some time!