Outlook usually connects faster if you're on the local LAN, but sometimes that's not possible. Ever. You are stuck out in Outlook via the Internet land (RPC over HTTP). How do you make this connect faster? Tell Outlook to connect via RPC over HTTP even on fast networks!
- In Outlook, go to Tools, Email Accounts...
- Select View or Change Existing Email Accounts and choose Next
- Select the Exchange Profile and choose Change
- Choose More Settings
- On the Connection tab, choose the Exchange Proxy Settings button at the bottom
- Finally, check the box that says On fast networks, connect using HTTP first, then connect using TCP/IP
There you have it! Outlook will try RPC over HTTP first, so if you're outside of the network more often than inside, you can have a faster experience.